Upcoming Events that you DON'T want to miss!!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Paper Place Setting!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I can't believe it's already here. I can't seem to get in the Christmas spirit until I've had my fried turkey and sweet potato casserole for Turkey Day! As promised, I am going to show you pictures of the paper place setting I made for the Thanksgiving table at Scraphappy. We really had some great settings; everyone had a different idea and it's really fun to see what everyone creates. For mine, I used the My Mind's Eye papers called Lost and Found 2. I love that paper with all the glittery accents on it. Even though it's not traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas colors, I think it really lends itself to a holiday feel. I started my place setting by making a placemat. I used 2 pieces of paper and just cut and glued them together when I felt I had the right size. Underneath the flower and ribbon, I used a couple of the leftover strips to accent. Then I put the ribbon over the strips of paper. I used two different sizes of ribbon in burgundy and gold. I also punched the edge of the sides with punch. You could use any edge punch for decoration. Here's the placemat put together.
In my last post, I showed you how to make the flowers I used on the placemat. I also used my Tim Holtz distress inks to ink the edges of the flower and the placemat. I cut the leaves by hand and crimped them. Leaves and flowers are a great way to use your scraps! Here's a closeup of the flower.
For the remaining part of my place setting, I made a multi-purpose silver caddy and place card. I started with a empty vegetable can that I cleaned and dried. I covered the outside of the can with paper and cut a circle out of coordinating paper for the bottom. I glued the circle to the bottom of the can and crimped it with my hands to bend it around the edge. The top edge of the can is finished with a ribbon.
I repeated the flowers I used on the placemat and placed one at the top and three around the bottom edge of the can. I also cut very small strips of paper and curled them around a pencil for the paper curls around the flower. Once again, I cut and crimped some leaves by hand. Don't forget to ink all of this with your Tim Holtz distress inks. Can I tell you how much I love those inks???


Next I cut initials out for the place card. I used a Cricut cartridge from Scraphappy for the font. Just to give it a little more interest, I used dimensionals under the initials to make them stand out. Here is the finished product!

You can cover anything with paper and make it look special. The silver caddy could be a pencil holder for your desk or a marker holder for your child's art table. I think this place setting could also be for anytime you want to have a special table for your guests. Have fun making it your own!
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember all the special things in your life. Enjoy your turkey and visit your favorite store (Scraphappy!) after you're finished eating and need to walk off the calories!
Vicky

No comments: