Upcoming Events that you DON'T want to miss!!

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Folded Tag Project

I saw an adorable fold out tag in a friend’s shop and was intrigued with its possibilities.  Hers presented a summer beach theme and used a wide assortment of embellishments.  Ideas swirled…

General instructions are: cut a 4” strip across the bottom, score and fold every 2” alternating “mountains and valleys” so that you end up with an accordion fold. Trim out the top corners to achieve the tag shape. By trimming the first one, you can use the scrap as a guide for the other corners to give you some uniformity.

I needed 12x12 sheet of decorative paper as the base. As Christmas was rolling around, I headed to Scraphappy for some paper inspiration. The 2 sided Playground offered me a bright red and a pretty aqua. On the aqua side, the trees added more fun colors. Jillibean’s penguin paper was the just the thing to coordinate with the pretty aqua. I trimmed out some of the penguins and trees. I even found a leftover snowflake brad that was perfect for a red panel and a bow that was languishing in the drawer forgotten from some long ago project.
Having two great colors on the paper gave me the chance to work with a very traditional theme in red and a really fun contemporary theme on the aqua side. Tim Holtz’ vintage Christmas paper added a special feel to accent the red side. This was the perfect backdrop for more one of a kind embellishments left from other projects.

Some green die cut Christmas trees (3 in olive for the red side and 3 in lime for the aqua side) offered the perfect spot to add a cheerful message along the top. Since I didn’t have the alphabet style that I wanted, I drew the letters for JOY on the trees with a little bottle of red accent paint.

Then I wanted to see what could be done with a totally different theme. Since I already had some birthday pictures laid out for a page, these became part of the playful monkey birthday fold tag. I found coordinating papers in the pink scrap drawer (yes, there is a drawer for each color). By cutting them a bit smaller than the tag, you still get a peek at the smiling monkeys in the background.

This is a fun project and can be sent to someone special. What a great use of those fun little odds and ends that seem to be left over. Dig into your scraps and doodads and enjoy!

No comments: